The HudsonWay Immersion School (HWIS) summer program is designed to maximize fun, effective learning and flexibility!
All of our online learning is LIVE!
Dates: June 22–August 7
Ages: 3 to 17
Levels: All language levels welcome
Campers can immerse themselves in adventures in Mandarin, Spanish, or enrichment in English with HudsonWay Immersion School’s esteemed faculty. Our program offers maximum flexibility, perfect for summer schedules. Each block is 90 minutes in length. One-to-one tutoring is also available by the hour.
- Lessons are entirely synchronous (live).
- Students are grouped by age/ability.
- Preschool students are grouped by age.
- Elementary to high school students are grouped by age and language level.
- Groups are small and limited to 5–8 students.
- Instruction is provided by HWIS full-time, experienced faculty.
- Four time slots per day:
9:00 – 10:30 a.m.
11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
1:00 - 2:30 p.m.
3:00 - 4:30 p.m.
- Mix and match programs to suit each child’s interest and your schedule.
Immersion Adventures in Mandarin or Spanish(ages 3–4, 5–8, and 9–12)
Our Mandarin and Spanish immersion theme-based adventures are designed to maximize learning. The entire block is conducted LIVE via Zoom led by our highly experienced teachers all in the target language. Lessons are designed to develop routine and build confidence in interacting in Mandarin or Spanish. Listening and speaking practice are emphasized. Register for one or all weeks!
Week 1: Planet Earth
Week 2: Space Travel
Week 3: Author Study
Week 4: Let’s go Camping!
Week 5: Mighty Artist!
Week 6: Where the Wild Things Are
Week 7: Myths and Legends
Sample Schedule: ALL LIVE via Zoom
- 10 minutes welcome routine
- 20 minutes theme lesson
- Brain break (Hide & seek, movement)
- Read aloud with questioning
- Brain Break (yoga, movement)
- Working snack
- STEAM-based activity
Language requirement for Intermediate level class:
- Can have a full conversation involving daily life topics with a variety of words and phrases
- Can exchange preferences, feelings, or opinions and provide advice on a variety of familiar topics, and engaging in conversation that involving high-level questioning
- Can have a full conversation involving unfamiliar topics
- Can state viewpoints, explain preferences and opinions on a variety of unfamiliar topics
- Can handle a large number of communicative tasks
Language Literature Circles in Mandarin or Spanish(ages 7–8, 9–12, 13–17)
This program is designed for students with some prior Mandarin or Spanish language level. An in-depth study of a book is discussed over the course of two weeks. Students will be asked to pre-read selected chapters, participate in classroom discussion and hone writing skills with essay prompts. This program is a great way to reinforce language study in a full immersion setting. Native-speaking teachers will facilitate study of characterization, cause/effect, compare/contrast, visualization, prediction, making connections, problem/solution, sequencing, and mood. Students will be assessed prior to placement in a class.
Students need to be at the intermediate or advanced level in Mandarin or Spanish to attend.
The child comprehends:
- simple stories, routine correspondence, short descriptive texts or other selections within familiar contexts
- connected sentences and much paragraph-like discourse
- information-rich texts with highly predictable order
The participant comprehends paragraph discourse such as that found in stories, straightforward literary works, personal and work-related correspondence, written reports or instructions, oral presentations (news), anecdotes, descriptive texts, and other texts dealing with topics of a concrete nature.
English Academic Programs(ages 7-8, 9-12)
Select Programs based on your schedule and interest!
Literature Circle, ages 7-8, 9-12
An in-depth study of a book is discussed over the course of two weeks. Students will be asked to pre-read selected chapters, participate in classroom discussion, and hone writing skills with essay prompts. Teachers will facilitate study of characterization, cause/effect, compare/contrast, visualization, prediction, making connections, problem/solution, sequencing, and mood.
Creative Writing, ages 7-8, 9-12
By encouraging the practice of writing, we prepare our students to succeed across all subjects. Whether they're practicing storytelling, reflecting on a prompt, or peer editing, students will be working on essential self-expression and social skills. Students are grouped by age.
Math League, ages 7-8, 9-12
This camp is designed to focus on critical thinking problems to prepare students for the Continental Math League tests. We will make problem solving fun and teach strategies for accuracy and speed. Students will develop confidence and enjoy the process of problem-solving.